Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Frogs with Dr. Marmotini and Sorici

Okay, a lot has happened in the past couple days, let's see if I can wrap my head around it all.
Tuesday morning I had a meeting with my research professor (whom I shall call Marmotini) and we discussed my future plans in relation to the lab. I told her about how I had changed my mind about going to vet school, and how I wanted to apply to masters programs for Fall 2014. She mentioned that there is a masters program at my university, and she seemed to be encouraging or suggesting I apply. I'm not sure if she would be taking grad students then, but I was a little to flustered to think to ask that. I'm stubborn and in my mind I know I don't want to stay here in Las Vegas, but the rational side of me (as well as Doom) suggested that staying might be an option, and we should at least think about it. So next time I see her I might ask. I should prepare for all options.
After that I had my biochem exam, and to spare you the boring whining that I normally give when it comes to tests, I will just say: I have an 89 in that class so far, so I'm right on the fence. This test could raise me up or push me down!
After my biochem exam, I went to lab again to help because our organism (frogs!) were supposed to arrive and we needed to get them situated. I got there and waited for a few minutes with the lab assistant, we'll call her Sorici. Soon Marmotini called saying she has the frogs. We grabbed a cart and took it down where she was waiting. She was agitated because our university messed up the delivery of our frogs and we were missing another box of them. Sorici and I took the frogs upstairs to where they'll be staying, in the aquatics facility. We set about preparing the frog water (with special salts and minerals) while Marmotini figured out the shipping mess. Eventually we got all of the frogs and I got to help her move them into their tanks. They're squishy! And lively, surprisingly. They traveled thousands of miles so I was surprised!
We ran into a problem though when we tested the pH of their water-- it was too acidic. We scratched our heads for quite awhile over this one because the water we had prepared was an appropriate pH, and the pure water we used to prepare the frog water was also appropriate. The frogs were acidifying the water somehow, and we didn't really have the necessary buffers to add to their water! My theory is that because the frogs were breathing, CO2 was being dissolved in the water and CO2 can affect the pH of their water, but I didn't think of this at the time. Either way we can't change their pH too drastically or it could harm them so we left them for the night.
It was good to work with Dr. Marmotini and Sorici because I think they're interesting people, and I got to talk to Marmotini about where she's from, etc.
This morning I woke up and checked my e-mail and surprise! I got the summer research scholarship I had applied for! I wasn't expecting it after I got rejected for the first one I applied for so I'm ecstatic. I even cried a little I was so excited, haha. I'm a silly creature. The money will help Doom and I out, and the award will look great on my resume, not to mention it will be priceless experience.
I'm going to be quite busy in the next week with school, but I wanted to update with all of the stuff that's been happening before I forget!

1 comment:

  1. You're doing so well with all this school stuff. I'm being such a slacker I feel like. They pee in their water too remember and urine is usually more acidic. :)